Contest 5: Last Man Standing, CityFight style! CityFight forums
Forum home for the cityfight campaign

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Contest 5: Last Man Standing, CityFight style!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Contest 5: Last Man Standing, CityFight style! Reply with quote

In the hour of twilight somewhere outside the town of Nez on a hidden field stands an old shrine, long since past out of men’s memories. Today that will change. Today it will be the scene of a great due for life and death. On the field many mighty warriors and wizards slowly starts to wake from a deep slumber. Their eyes are at once fixed on a man standing on the top of the shrine. He is clad in black cloak and hood, and holds a scythe in skeletal hands.

As the last is fully awake, he starts to talk:
‘Welcome one and all. You are all great warriors and wizards of great renown. This is an arena. My arena. I have brought you here to see if the stories of you are true, or just made up fables, in any case, this seems to me to be a perfect end of any fable, true or not. By the end of this day, only one of you will be able to leave my arena. This is last man standing.’
A shout is heard from among the assembled crowd.
‘This isn’t really why you have brought us here, is it’ The mysterious man spins slowly towards the source, laughing softly, mockingly, and with his head tilted slightly replies:
‘That is for me to know, and you to figure out, if you outlive the day’
‘Fight!’

And with that, he is gone

Last edited by Dunrik Ironhammer on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last man standing, rules.
This is a different version of AoD then I believe most of you are used to. I believe it had its origins in D&D many, many years ago. I first encountered it over at ogre stronghold, where a man called forgottenlor did run several of them, and I thought it might be a different kind of contest to have. I have taken the same rules, almost untouched, except for a bit in the magic department, fear, and CC. Hopefully it will work just as well now as it did under the 7th ed rules.

The Rules:
Game Summary: All players have one Warhammer character model on a 20X20 war battle field with little terrain. The idea is to be the last survivor, to kill as many other participants as possible, or to inflict as many wounds as possible. Unlike Warhammer there are no challenges, fleeing or break tests, terror, overrun, or panic tests and no dispel dice. However there is a movement phase, a shooting/magic phase which has been altered (please read carefully below if your entry has any magic levels or bound spells), and close combat. Orders for all phases of each turn are given to me by personal message. I roll all the dice. Every 2 days (or when I have a PM from every player) a new phase starts (movement, shooting/magic, close combat)
Fear works as normal. If you fail, you have WS 1.

What is required of those wanting to play: a legal character (from an official Warhammer Army Book*) of no more than 300 points. PM to me with:

• A Name
• Name of the character type, the army book it comes from, and its stats and any types of saves or regeneration it may possess.
• Type of mount (including monsters and chariots) and stats, if any.
• Names of magic items (no magic banners allowed) and descriptions of what they do. The Pendat of Khaleth is disallowed.
• Magic level and known spells

Movement: Every character in the movement phase pms me with one of the 2 possibilities:
• I charge “Character name”
• I move to “space #down, #across”

Charging characters move first, in initiative order. If there is a tie, the character with the highest move wins the tie breaker. If both I and M are the same, it will be rolled out if necessary to see who charges first. Any character with a missile weapon who can legally stand and shoot, will. Otherwise charged opponents must hold.
Non charging/ charged characters move afterwards in initiative order. Two characters ending up on the same space are counted as being in close combat, with neither charging. This stage will last 1 day, or less if I get all the PMs before.

Magic/shooting/combat: Every character in the magic shooting phase pms me with one of 4 possibilities:
• I try to cast X spell(s) with # dice at “name”
• I shoot at “name”
• I attack “name”
• I divide my attacks among “names” or “rider/mount”

Spell casting characters go first, in initiative order. If there is a tie, the character with the highest magic level goes first. If both I and magic level are the same, it will be rolled out if necessary to see who casts first.

Spells known: Any character who would normally roll for their spells randomly knows the 1st spell of their list if magic level 1, the first and second if magic level 2, and so on. This will make some lists better than others.

Spells with no effect in Last Man Standing: Spells which summon creatures (raise dead from the lore of vampires, for example) and which effect terrain (Tree singing from the lore of Athel Lorain, or most of the spells from the lore of life) have no effect in Last Man Standing (they simply don’t work)

Spells which can move the character out of close combat, such as skitterleap or shadowsteed function in the following way: If cast successfully the caster rolls a d6, on the roll of 4+ the character may escape close combat in the magic phase, on the roll of 1-3 the spell first functions at the end of the close combat phase, (providing the caster has survived it ) If not cast on a character already in close combat, the spells work normally.

Power dice: I will roll for every turn to see how many dice there will be, and everyone will get the same number of PD. Power stones also do not function and may not be bought.

Dispel dice/Magic resistance: There are no dispel dice. There are also no dispel scrolls. Magic resistance will word as it did in both 7th and 8th ed, namely, with MR 1, you get 1 DD, and a 6+ WS against direct damage spells. Wizards will also have a MR with the same value as their lvl, ie a lvl 1 wizard will have a MR of 1, and a lvl 4 would have MR 4.

Bound spells: Bound spells works as normal.

Stay in play: Spells which normally stay in play (such as bear’s anger) expire at the beginning of the next magic phase (they last exactly 1 round).

Shooting characters go next, in initiative order. If there is a tie, the character with the highest BS goes first. If both I and BS are the same, it will be rolled out if necessary to see who shoots first.

Close combat:

Close Combat works as normal. You strike in initiative order, and if a tie, simultaneously.

Default Behavior: Every character has the starting default behavior below. You may change this at any time by pming me. I will use a character’s default behavior if I do not get a pm from the player of the character before a deadline.

Default movement: The character does not move.
Default magic: The character casts the first spell on its list, if a magic missile, this is cast at the nearest enemy. If the character has a buffing/healing spell (such as bear’s anger) it attempts to cast it on itself.
Default shooting: The character shoots at the nearest enemy. Close combat: The character attacks a random opponent in contact.

It is always possible to pm me instructions for multiple phases/rounds in advance or change your preferences.

Starting point: Each character is assigned a random starting point on the map. Mounted characters face as much as possible to the middle of the map.
Scouts: 3 positions are rolled randomly for scouting characters. After all other characters are placed, scouting characters may choose which of the 3 points, they’d like to start out.

Winning: During the contest I’ll keep track of 3 things, namely the number of wounds inflicted, the most kills (in this case the killing blow and NOT who inflicted the most wounds on the victim) and the number of surviving participants. At the end there will be 3 titles a character can earn: Master Bloodspiller (most wounds) Master of Death (most kills) and Last Man Standing (the last surviving participant). Of course a character can hold multiple titles.

*Including:
- Unofficial Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs of Chaos by Kevin Coleman
- Unofficial Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War by Willmark

Last edited by Dunrik Ironhammer on Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map:

Walls are impassible
Both the hills in the two corners and the shrine/alter in the middle are elevated, and block LoS to anything on the other side. The alter has 3 lvls of elevation.

Good Luck!
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also allow characters form Kevin Colemans Chaos Dwarfs list and Wilmarks Dogs of War list.

Cheers, Dunrik
Silic
Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does movement have any value in this arena?

Say player A sends in orders to "move to 7,9" and he is charged by player B. Since charging occurs first, will player A's character leave close combat at the end of that round? Or does close combat occur until one of the characters is dead?
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat lasts until one of the characters is dead, just like normal warhammer, unless he has a magical trick up his sleeve.

So in this case, character B and A will be locked in combat until one of them is dead.

Cheers, Dunrik
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have only heard from one participant... Come on people Razz
Mogsam
Street fighter

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...This looks really complicated.
Militia

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunrik Ironhammer wrote:
So far I have only heard from one participant... Come on people Razz

So.... I win? Or I fly around the map until I get tired and wander off?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one more, so I'm afraid you won't win that easy Razz

I'll leave it open until 2pm CET tomorrow. Unless anything changes I'll just fix a normal duel between you and Sir Mark of Aquitaine. I'll see if not DS can fix you two a little price for participating at least. I guess you can't always get what you want.

Cheers, Dunrik
NewGuy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunrik- does CR work as normal, or are all of the participants considered Unbreakable?
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are unbreakable.
NewGuy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Stand by for my entry, I'll be sending it to you after I get some sleep.
Dunrik Ironhammer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally got around to do this, and I'm afraid it is a bit crude.

The contenders are Silic with LeCarde, and Sir Mark with Justin of the Skies.
Quote:
The sun was setting. The fight had been long and hard, the ground littered in corpses. Only two champions stood left, LeCarde and Justin of the Skies. Both were bretonnian knights of great renown, and have truly been blessed by the Lady this day. They were both mounted on Pegasuses.

Justin of the Skies was armed with lance and sword, the former surrounded by a pale blue light. On his chest hang a claw from a dragon. If it was a family heirloom, or if he had killed the dragon himself, no one knew.

On the other side of the arena was LeCarde. In his head rested a great dwarven helmet made out of Gromril, and in his hand he held a sword surrounded sending out a faint golden light.

As one they both surged forwards, and soon classed in a clang of steel on steel, and snorting of pegasuses. Who would prove to be the true champion of the Lady?

Justins lance shattered on the impact, but the armour of his opponent took the hit without getting a scratch. Intsead, LeCardes sword bit deep into Justins left arm as he drew his sword. (LeCarde scores 1 wound in Justin)

Justin got his sword up just in time to meet LeCardes onslaught, fighting home his early advantage. Alas he was too eager, and right side open, and very soon Justins sword did bite home, spraying LeCardes Pegasus in red blood. (Justin scores 1 wound on LeCarde)

However, Justins smile soon disappeared, as out of nowhere LeCardes sword struck out of nowhere, biting deep into his side. In his shocked state his own sword failed to harm LeCarde. (LeCarde scores a second wound on Justin)

Justin knew it was now or never as he was losing much blood really fast, and with his last strength he threw himself at LeCarde, understanding his folly too late as LeCardes sword buried itself into his chest.

The winner is Silic with LeCarde, congratulation Smile Now I only need to get DS into fixing a price for you, and something for Sir Mark for entering.
Sir Mark of Aquitaine
Street fighter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww.......I lost Sad
But anyway gongratulations for your victory Silic.

Ps. shame I failed that killingblow.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityFight forums Forum Index -> The library All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: