FAQ CityFight forums
Forum home for the cityfight campaign

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

FAQ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityFight forums Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: FAQ Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Here you can ask questions regarding the campaign. Once we have some questions covered, I will compile everything into one big pdf file and put it up on the campaign site.

Basic questions
What's an online campaign?
In a campaign, you join a team of players (a faction). Together, you try to achieve a certain goal. You report battles to attack locations on a map, much like you would in a game of Risk. If your faction places enough reports, you capture the location. But if your opponent places more reports at that location, then they capture it instead! By capturing locations, or failing to capture a location, a story unfolds- the game masters will write a short story each turn to represent what's going on in the campaign setting.

Reports battles? Do you mean online battles? Or do I need to find people who also play in the campaign?
You could, but it is definately not required. Playing a game against anyone, even if that person isn't in the campaign, counts as a report.

What types of games can I play?
Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warbands, Skirmish/Mordheim, Path to Glory, Man o War, Blood Bowl, Warmaster, and for the first time ever your HeroQuest games will also count. Just remember, only one report per turn, regardless of type! So you can't report a Warbands game and a Blood Bowl game and report them both in the same turn, though you can definately "save" one of those games to report next turn!
Instead of playing a game, you may also write a story about what your character did during that turn (or about what he did last turn- we're not that strict, as long as it happened in the campaign setting). There's a 500 words minimum to these stories. You can post them in the Library forum.

But how do I report battles? And how many can I report?
You can report one battle per turn- each turn lasts one week. You can report by clicking the Report form tab on this site, logging in, and then choosing a location to attack.

Logging in? How do I even register for this campaign?
On the campaign site, you can register via the Register tab on this site. Fill in your information, and click submit. You'll then get a confirmation message. To clarify; your username is your player name (ideally, the name you use on the forum), while your character name is the name of the character I play.
On this forum, you can apply for a faction by posting a reply in the relevant thread on the sign-up forum. You will then be given access to your faction's hidden forum.

I registered but I can't move!
That's because there's two starting locations, and you haven't been placed in one yet. Check the forum- on your hidden faction forum there's a thread (called Location please!) that you can reply to. You can tell us there where you'd like to be placed, and the campaign team will put you there as soon as they've got the time.

I can't get enough games in!
No problem! Jut don't report for a turn- there's no penalty for not reporting. You should remain a bit active on the forum, though- if you haven't posted for two weeks, then we're going to have to remove you from your faction. You can get back in, but only if nobody else stepped in while you were absent. This is to prevent people from playing one turn and then leaving, which would mean that faction would have a whole lot of inactive accounts filling up the spots, while other players can't join that faction because it is full!

Mechanics questions
How far can I move per turn?
Just one location. You start in a location, and then you can attack any adjacedent location, or the location you're in. Check the report form to see what locations you can attack- you can only choose once!

I don't want to attack a location, I just want to move through it!
Tough. Attacking a location could also mean defending it, or beating up other faction's agents.

How big is my army supposed to be in the stories?
It is definately not as big as in many other campaigns. The campaign setting (the town Nez) is a lot smaller than the nation-wide conflicts from other campaigns, so your armies are scaled down as well. Fluff-wise, you should be bringing something the size of a mordheim or warbands army. That doesn't eman you can only play mordheim or warbands, but fluff-wise, that's just about how big your army is.

Aren't the locations changing hands a bit fast?
Yes they are. As I said, your army is small. You can't place garrisons, because you don't have the troops to spare. And the population of Nez really isn't going to put up a fight for you after you left- they're just scared peasants, after all. So once you're gone, anyone can walse in and take over.

Figureheads?
Figureheads are powerful individuals in Nez, who all have their own agenda. It is up to you whether you want to work with them, ignore them, or work against them. If you want to contact a figurehead as a faction, then you can post a letter to them in the relevant thread on your forum- only three letters total per turn!
If you want to contact them personally, then you're allowed to PM DemonSlayer, Tarlen da Foeburna, Dunrik Ironhammer or NewGuy once per turn. However, you're not allowed to contact figureheads personally for faction business- only for your own, personal special projects. If your personal communication is for the benefit of the faction, then it'll get ignored.

Special projects?
If you want to do something that's outside the campaign's mechanics, then you can do so via special projects. PM DemonSlayer, Tarlen da Foeburna, Dunrik Ironhammer AND NewGuy with a title, a short fluff description (up to 200 words should be enough), the desired result and how much you're willing to pay for it (this should include both a one-time fee and a per-use fee). We'll take a look with it and get back to you, possibly with an altered cost/result (if you're asking to turn all locations to your control for five gold pieces, then you can bet we're going to do some altering!). Then you can either accept, or propose something new.
You're allowed one special project at a time. No need to make the GMs go crazy!

Resources?
In CityFight, you'll have access to eleven different kinds of resources- gold, silver, steel, brass, wood, parchment, goods, wood, food, ale, and art. You can use these to purchase special projects, or as a gift for figureheads. Or perhaps you just like hoarding wealth, which is fine, too.
There is a goblin figurehead that you can contact to buy or sell resources, though. But contacting him counts as contacting a figurehead. So choose wisely!
You can gather additional resources by attacking locations. Keep in mind, though, that not every location has an equal amount of resources, and most locations only have three or four different types of resources.

Challenges?
In CityFight, you can challenge anyone (even people from your own faction) to a fight to the death. To do this, you first need to find that character, which is a challenge in itself! And we're not telling you how to. If you find your target and he accepts the challenge, the GMs will begin rolling the dice. The result will be shown in the turn update. The winner gains resources from the loser, while the loser is dead. He will no longer be able to play with that character, although he's free to make a new character. You may only challenge one person per turn, and you may not challenge the same person two turns in a row.

Can I defect to another faction?
Yes. But only if you have a very good reason for it, both IC and OoC. Just PM DemonSlayer, and he'll look into it for you (DemonSlayer is the only GM with access to the database).

Fluff questions
What is fluff?
Fluff is the story that's being told. The story about your character specifically, or the story about the war in general. The GMs will write the story about the war (your actions can certainly influence them!), but what happens to your character is mostly up to you. If you like, you can write about your character, post it in the Great library forum, and who knows? Maybe the campaign team will pick up on your story and add in a little bit about him! No promises though. However, when writing, make sure you're not dictating what other people's characters are doing (unless you have their permission!), or what the figureheads are doing!

Just how lethal is this campaign to my character?
VERY. There are campaign results in which every character dies. So you're better off not playing a character that you're attached to.

Where is the campaign set?
In the small coastal village Nez, on the western Bretonnian coast, just north of the city Lyonesse. We're playing in the year 2525.

Hey, there's no faction that represents my character's race!
That is very likely. All factions are open to all races, you'll have to find a way to make it work! Worst case scenario is that you don't have anything in common with the rest of the faction; in that case assume that you simply have the same result as a goal, and that there is an agreement of not attacking each other.

Additional questions
Are there special projects?
There will be room for special projects, yes . However I'm not gonna give you guys a list of pre-made projects- I'd like to see what sort of stuff people come up with !

What are the resources and how do we get them?
You can find an overview of the resources (as well as how many you have of each) by clicking the report form tab (on the campaign site), then logging in. The resources are gold, silver, brass, steel, wood, parchment, goods (miscellaneous), weapons, ale, food, and art.

You can get resources by attacking location. Exactly what location has which types of resources (and how many of them) is for the players to find out!

When can we start writing to FH?
You can start writing 2nd of May.

How long are the turns/update periods going to be?
Each turn will take seven days. Be sure to get your reports in on Sunday, though! Sometime each Monday I'll hit the "Run turn" button. So you'll have a couple of hours to report on Monday as well, but this will be variable. The fluff update will follow shortly (hopefully either Monday or Tuesday).

What are the relative values of the various resources? Is 1 art worth 1 gold?
No. The relative values are, well, relative. As an example I'll take Grish Toebita, the goblin merchant figurehead. At some point he might find that weapons are in high demand- to buy weapons off of him, you'll need a lot of other stuff. Likewise he'll give you a lot of other types of resources for any weapons you want to sell to him.

Then suddenly the demand on weapons stops, and they become rather worthless- Toebita might give you ten gold pieces per weapon when they're in demand, or just two silver when they're not. The market is very dynamic!

Do factions gain resources or just individuals?
Just individuals, although it is very possible for them to pile their resources together. If you want to buy something as a faction, simply PM me about who pays what.

Can you give some relative costs of goods and services? What does a base level special project cost from recsource standpoint?
Say you want to build a blockade out of wood. You'd need somewhere between 5-10 wood resources to build them. Bribing a figurehead would probably cost around 15 gold. Building a temple to the dark gods will cost 20 wood, gold, stone and goods (miscellaneous for stone or slaves to be sacrificed). Then again, it all depends on what you want to do- the cost of everything is negotiable.

As a general rule of thumb, 1-5 is little, 6-10 is medium, 11-15 is for big projects, and 16+ for the really big projects (like building new buildings).

Can you gain resources from attacking regions you already control or must you attack other regions? Do you get resources from regions by just attacking or must you capture those regions.
You can loot and plunder the locations already under your control, yes . And you get resources for attacking even if you don't capture the location.

Where can I find a list of the resources I've gathered/looted?
Check the campaign site, click "report form", and log in. There's a list of your resources there.

Last edited by DemonSlayer on Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 am; edited 4 times in total
Timbor
Street fighter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, found the FAQ!

There was no mention of fluff reports if we can't play any games... Are we only allowed to use games as reporting actions?
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Sure, why not Smile. Although I can't promise we'll have enough time to read all your fluff reports... But go right ahead. I'll set it at a minimum of 500 words.
Timbor
Street fighter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be any trickle income from regions, or are resources only gained through attacking?
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no trickle; you only receive income by attacking a location.
fauthsie
Street fighter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about movement and the map. Can forces move between regions within the city that are not connected by a bridge? For example can the outlaws in the Market district attack the church ward or could the military in the East Harbour attack the Palace district?
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The bridges indicate how locations are connected with one another, it is not possible to "jump over" a river.

If you're uncertain whether you can reach a location from your current position, check the report form. There you'll see what locations you have access to Smile.

Long story short;
-In the city, you can only move from location to location via bridges
-In the surrounding lands, you can only move from location to location via bridges
-You may move to sea locations from all adjacedent land locations (including the shores!), and vice versa.
-You may move from sea location to sea location
-You may only move from the surrounding lands to the city (and vice versa) via the gates. This means west shore does not give access to the city at all.
Bran Wyr
Street fighter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few Questions about challenges:

1. What stats will you guys use? Will it be a basic stat line like A5 or my Campaign, or will it be race stats?

2. What about equipment? Will it also be basic?

3. Since this campaign takes place in the past, meaning before A5, what is the outcome of lets say, Bran Wyr dying in a challenge? How will that be explained?
NewGuy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the first 2. As for the third... that's really up to you. Remember that we did warn you about playing characters you were attached to. I'm sure you can come up with a reasonable explanation for why Bran is not dead after losing a duel.

Maybe he's just so badly wounded he needs to retire from the public sphere to recuperate, and puts Tharik in charge or something? Like he did when he went off to find Esmerelda.
Bran Wyr
Street fighter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that makes sense. So your character doesnt technically have to die, he/she just has to be removed from the Campaign.

Okay, thanks! Cool

But the first 2 are kinda important to know.... Wink
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really haven't given much thought to equipment yet... But players will simply have to settle for a generic stat line...

Hm, let's say the stat line is;

M4 WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I3 A2 Ld8

Everyone has a hand weapon, no armour, no additional items, no mounts, no magic, no nothing Razz. I'll come up with a list for equipment later...
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying equipment
To buy equipment, PM DemonSlayer. If you're lacking gold, you may pay in silver instead (1 gold is 2 silver).

Primary weapons
Primary weapons are the weapons you'd use as your main weapon. They will affect all the attacks on your entire profile.

Using two primary weapons
It is possible to buy a second primary weapon to use in your off hand. This will give you an additional attack, but the properties of that weapon will only apply to that extra attack. The properties of your first primary weapon do not stack with those of the second primary weapon. If you do this, however, all your attacks will suffer a -1WS penalty.

Morningstar, +1S; 5 gold and 3 steel
Longsword, +1WS; 4 gold and 4 steel
Flail, +2S; 4 gold, 4 wood, 4 steel
Whip, +1I; 4gold, 2 goods
Lance, +3S when mounted, -3I when on foot; 20 gold, 12 wood, 8 steel

Secondary weapons
Secondary weapons may only be used if a primary weapon is also equipped; they support your primary weapon, but wouldn't be much good in a duel by themselves!
A secondary weapon's properties only apply to the additional attack granted by it, no to the character's standard attacks.

Secondary weapons may not be used while mounted.

Dagger, 3 gold, 3 steel; no additional bonus except the standard +1A for wielding two weapons.
Brass knuckles, 3 gold, 3 brass; no additional bonus except the standard +1A for wielding two weapons.
Club, 3 gold, 3 wood; no additional bonus except the standard +1A for wielding two weapons.
Shortsword, +1I; 5 gold, 5 steel
Hatchet, +1S; 5 gold, 5 wood

Two-handed weapons
Two-handed weapons are used in two hands, and therefore the character won't be able to use a shield or extra weapon (either primary or secondary).

Only the spear, greataxe and greatsword may be used mouted.

Quarterstaff, +1I; 2 wood
Spear, +1I, +1WS. In addition, +1S when mounted; 7 wood, 3 steel, 4 gold,
Halberd, +1S, +1A; 10 gold, 7 steel
Greataxe, +3S, strike last; 10 gold, 5 steel, 5 wood
Greatsword, +3S, +1WS, strike last; 12 gold, 10 steel

Ranged weapons
Ranged weapons allow you to make one ranged attack before the duel begins. This attack is resolved at the listed Strength. Note that if bretonnian characters use ranged weapons will be scorned for it in the fluff and future diplomacy!

Ranged weapons (except the pistol, which has only one shot) are abandoned when the fight begins.

Bow: S2. 5 wood.
Crossbow: S3. 5 wood, 3 steel.
Repeater crossbow: S3. 2 attacks. 5 wood, 4 steel, 2 gold
Pistol: S3. may be used as a club in the duel. 4 wood, 3 steel, 5 gold
Handgun: S4. 5 wood, 5 steel, 5 gold
Hochland long rifle: S5. 7 wood, 7 steel, 7 gold
Grenade launching blunderbus: S6. If a one is rolled for the to hit roll, the weapons blows up and the attack is resolved against the character instead. The weapons is then lost. 20 gold, 20 brass, 20 steel.
Cannon: S8, 1D3 wounds. If a one is rolled for the to hit roll, the cannon blows up and the attack is resolved against the character instead. The cannon is then lost. 50 gold, 50 brass, 50 steel.

Armor
Suits of armor may not be worn over each other; you may only equip one. Shields (except the buckler) prohibit the use of a second or two-handed weapon.

A parry save is in addition to armour saves. You cannot increase your parry save with armour save bonuses (like shields). They are independent of each other.

Light armor: 6+ armour save. 5 goods, 10 gold
Medium armor: 5+ armour save. 5 steel, 5 wood, 10 gold
Heavy armor: 4+ armour save. 15 steel, 15 gold
Plate armor: 3+ armour save. 20 steel, 20 gold
Buckler: 6+ parry save when used with a longsword or hand weapon. 5 steel, 5 gold
Cloak: 5+ parry save. 7 goods
Small shield: +1 armour save. 5 gold, 5 steel.
Large shield: +2 armour save. 8 gold, 8 steel.

Mounts & helpers
You may only ever have one mount, and one helper. Helpers attack only once before the game begins (but after shots are fired), then retreat.

Warhorse: +1 armour save, one attack at S3, 30 gold, 15 food
Barding for warhorse: +1 armour save 30 gold, 10 steel
Monstrous mount: two attacks at S5: 50 gold, 40 food

Squig: WS3, S5, A1d3. On the d6 roll of a 1, the squig attacks its owner instead! 10 gold, 30 food
Mercenary: WS3, S3, A1. 10 gold, 10 food, 5 ale
Assassin: WS7, S4, A2. 50 gold, 10 food, 10 ale

Trinkets
Trinkets are used after shots are fired and helpers are gone. You may only have one trinket.

Net: Enemy loses one attack on profile. 20 goods
Smoke bombs: Enemy at -1WS for 1d3 turns. 40 gold
Lucky charm: +5 ward save. 60 gold

Talents
You may only have one talent

Ambidextrous: no penalty for using two primary weapons. 30 gold
Enchanting: Opponent at -1WS. 50 gold
Quick draw: 30 gold; always strike first, or lose always strike last in the first turn of combat

Stat increases
Increasing any stat costs 20 gold. Each stat may only be increased twice.

Last edited by DemonSlayer on Tue May 17, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NewGuy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me DS, is it possible for figureheads to be called out in challenges?
DemonSlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. Gonna be a tough fight, though. Which reminds me, we need to go arm the buggers Razz!
Sir Guy de Trabuchet
Street fighter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me DS
Can we challenge GMs? Tarlen has a serious ass whopping due to him!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityFight forums Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: