Blood is Thicker than.... CityFight forums
Forum home for the cityfight campaign

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Blood is Thicker than....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyrmidianMan
Street fighter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Blood is Thicker than.... Reply with quote

....Bad Blood
The cold stone of the villa was very warm to the cold hands of Bertrand de Fries. One of the many odd traits of his family, he thought with a wry smile on his not-unhandsome face. He stood from the cerulial chair his great-great grandfather had carved himself, the bluish wood slightly iridescent before the torch light which sprouted from the 6 corners of the room. Walking down the dais steps, he stood before the slight man, fully three inches his inferior and over a millennia of family history as well.
“Mark his gens, Andre, I’ll make it a point not to associate with his line any longer.”
“As you say, my Lord.”

“Now I must mention before we begin, Sir Valyeaux, Eighth Baronet of Grisecolline, that I am not in the habit of granting extensions on any of the loans I grant, particularly not to the already grossly over-wealthy peasants in town.”
He begins to walk slowly around the quivering gentleman.
“However I also like to do what I can for my fellow men of good family. Blood is so important.” turning, “Have you found his line yet, Andre?”

“Indeed my lord. A distant relative by Viscomtesse Belina, of the Gienine Extraction, and her marriage to your 6th cousin, Drusus of the Peregrinian Extraction.”
“Ah, I should have known, one of Baron de Bulais’s great-grandchildren then?”
“It is so, my Lord, and with some connection to Cousin Photas, via manus femina.”
He turned around to face his victim again, “Well, well, and what do you know of Baron de Bulais? Did you know of his longstanding debts, did you know of the murders he enacted against his creditors? No? Well then, let me be the first to tell you, in a memory as long as my family’s, your credit is… let us say less than satisfactory.” A cold smirk came to Bertrand’s face, he always had enjoyed showing the Sins of the Fathers to misguided scions of ill-omened lines. “I would leave now, were I in your sorry position.”

For the first time in the whole session, the quivering Baronet stood firm,
“I protest! La Loi Royale specifically states that that disputes more than three generations past are not to be admissible as reasons for a man’s guilt!”
“Then I should tell you, before you rush to the courts, that this is my law, La Loi Famille, and you are in my domain. I answer to Duc de Semblancy, and the Crown, and no other! So please, off to the courts with you, tell them how Bertrand de Fries has denied you your deserved monies on account of a tainted blood, and you shall see how strongly blood is regarded in this part of the country.”
A man enters the room, he seems like he would like to pant with hands on knees for a moment, but he does not.
“I am afraid that your guest does not have a court to turn to.”
Genuinely surprised, Bertrand turns, “What is this, give me that! Wait, who is this missive from?”
“From Comte L’Etere, my Lord?” the messenger says still breathlessly, but knowledgeable enough to know that to bend in the Marquis’s presence might very well relegate his family to the sty were they to ever need the de Fries family again.
The Royal Court has fled, the courthouse is ablaze, war comes to Nez on all sides. Come to the city, I, and the other families, could use your arm in this. Hmmm. On second thought, instead of having you thrown off the roof of my house, I think I shall make use of you. In exchange for your family honor restored, and I suppose the monies you requested, you shall offer your services, and that of as much of your Uncle Beaumont’s, the Duc’s Générale, garrison at Fort Lyon as can be commandeered. That is, shall we say, 40 men?”
“Ah, uh, ah, uh, oh, I don’t….”
“Settled then, unless you wish to be better acquainted with the stones behind my house that is?”
“Yes…oh, yes….”
“Good, I will meet you in town. We have only so much time before the war is over and all the other families have had their fun. Come, Andre, it has been too long since you marked the new lines forméd in Nez, you’re getting out of practice.”
“As you say, my Lord.”
“Now what are my relations to Comte L’Etere?”
MyrmidianMan
Street fighter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Armies

The 14th Marquis de Noblesse D'Tenir stood firm as his lands' namesake, the strong wind buffeting him from his vantage point on the promontory above the fetid waste that peasants called a town. He had been right to answer his fellow noble's call, it had been too long since he'd forced himself to look at the depths of low-born depravity. He could not fathom why, but he felt a strong sensation of pleasure emanate from within himself as he looked down on their squalor.

Turning he went back atop his horse, "We're to reach the meeting place in 2 days time, and considering our current position, I believe that to be achievable." From any other man, such obviousness would have called laughs from his men, sharing in the joke, but the seriousness of the Marquis all but extinguished any humor they might have answered with.

Bertrand looked toward his companions, "As we have discussed, the army stays outside the city, we can't have near two hundred men stomping in behind us, we'd be a target no one in the city could miss. No, instead Chevalier D'Espere has accepted command of the army while we enter the city. You will come, of course, Sir Luc, as will....Sir Marcel, Squire Honorè, and Père Benoit. Bring a few men each with you, I don't want to enter the city with less than a score. Report back once you have chosen your companions, and you may stay of course, Père Benoit, you have your men already." the Marquis glared at the Black Guards for a moment, it was disgusting how much respect his family had for this death cult. It is in life, and blood that the family exists, they dwell on the lives of the dead, not their terminal hour. At least the sane ones don't.
MyrmidianMan
Street fighter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Ink

Oh yes, he had played the diplomat during the war, he had "put aside his differences with the Merchants for the Betterment of Nez", but he had not forgotten who he was. Bertrand de Fries, 14th Marquis de Noblesse D'Tenir.

These scribbling quill-dippers and money-counters could rest on their laurels with the privileges the Concordat of Nez gave them, the document he himself had written. They could cast their votes and apply tariffs, that salty buffoon Armast could bask in the people's love for a time, but in the end the people would come crawling on their bloated stomachs back to the Nobility for the peace of mind order brought them.

As soon as they realize the labyrinthine bureaucracy they will be forced to travel for a loaf of bread and a bottle of cheap of wine, they will know why their ancestors followed the aristocracy in the first place. They would once more be in awe of our superiority. And no document or treaty could stand against the people's contract, an unbreakable oath signed in blood.

So keep smiling, keep shaking the Arab's hand, soon this whole pathetic charade will be over, and the real masters of Nez will arise once more, like a phoenix over the putrescence of the ravaged town, ready to alight once more on the perch of rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityFight forums Forum Index -> The library All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: